Friday, February 23, 2018

2/24 - Travel day 2...and 3...and...4? No wait. Just 3.

As requested, a picture of the cool lamp.

In retrospect, it's not that cool, but I was certainly tired enough to be enthralled by it for about 5 minutes in the hotel (the switch to turn it on is on the side of the desk below).

This second leg of travel has been significantly less eventful. There were no more delayed flights. No running through a ridiculously large airport from terminal to terminal trying to catch a flight that was actually not even really a flight anybody was told I would be on. No, I got on the flight to Auckland, New Zealand and then to Brisbane with no issue and had a remarkably average flight.

I mean, I did get some time to walk around LA before I left. Enough to find that everything was at least $3 more expensive there compared to the midwest (breakfast was $18...but that's okay, I had vouchers :) ) I also made a stop by Barnes and Noble and picked up another physical book to read (Edgedancer by Brandon Sanderson). I've been ripping through my audiobooks on these flights so I wanted something else to read and I'm still timid about making the dive into Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. It's huge. And quite boring at times. But it's also a fantasy classic and I'm told that it's totally worth the drudge. I'll get to it soon I'm sure.

Anyway, by the time I finally got onto my 8:55pm flight from LA to Auckland (yes, I sat in the airport for around 8 hours before boarding) I had finished The Martian (4.5 out of 5 stars). I spent the next 12 hour flight playing a video game, finally watching Thor: Ragnorok (2.5 out of 5 stars), and trying to sleep (1 out of 5 stars). When I woke up I had completely skipped the 23rd (due to In't date line), so I ate on-board breakfast and we landed in Auckland.

Okay, I'm stretching out this story at this point to make it seem like I did something today. The tl;dr is that I finally arrived in Brisbane. I now am typing this while waiting for a bus (I've got another 2 hours to kill) to pick me up and bring me to Lismore. I've slowly learned over these days that traveling involves waiting a long while in a lot of airports. I can't imagine what it's like to have to do this all the time for business or something. Sheesh. But hey, at least this airport has free Wifi!

I'm excited to finally make it to Southern Cross tonight. I had to pay $70AUD for the bus since I missed the free one, but they know exactly when I'm arriving so they'll be ready to catch me up on what I've missed. The only thing is, I think literally all the other Aussie International students from UWEC went on the Fiji trip and have known each other for almost a week now and jumping in late to social life experiences can be scary and a bit ostracizing. But it'll be fine! Just a matter of reducing uncertainty through mutual self-disclosure.

And no. I will not make it through a blog post without mentioning some form of Communication theory. It's my degree and I insist on using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment